The IssueTeachers and schools are critical to ensuring that the next generation is well equipped with the knowledge and skills to face tomorrow’s environmental challenges. By providing teachers with the resources they need, and informing educational institutions on the inherent benefits of being sensitive to our planet’s environmental issues, we hope to raise the bar for Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) in the region. The Education arm of EWS-WWF is also taking into account the modern trend of using online platforms to make information accessible easily to a larger audience. .
Be’ati Watani is a comprehensive bilingual online environmental resource for 6-14 year olds, and is the first on-going environmental education programme devoted specifically to the UAE environment.
What we’re doing
Comprising of eight levels, students are encouraged to follow main characters, Hamad and Ayesha, as they learn about the different concepts and issues, both local and global. . The modules cover the country’s fauna, flora and natural habitats, provide tips on simple ‘to do’ conservation actions in schools and homes that should form a part of children’s daily lives, and introduce vital global issues such as climate change and what we can do about it. Students can then test their environmental knowledge to see how much they have learned.
Designed to stimulate more in-depth thought on the growing environmental issues we face on a daily basis and to engage a wider range of students in meaningful environmental discussions, Be’ati Watani also includes a blog on the student portal. In addition, the new online experience enables students of participating schools to access quizzes, grades, certificates and prizes.
Overall, Be’ati Watani strives to:
- Boost environmental knowledge among children aged 6 to 14 years old
- Foster a sense of ownership and pride in the on-going protection of the UAE’s distinctive biodiversity
- Engage and motivate students to learn about the environment around them, and subsequently make informed decisions so they become environmentally responsible citizens
- Stimulate thinking about connections between human consumption patterns and the environment
- Teach children environmental vocabulary
- Provide teacher resources to help facilitate classroom discussions on environmental subjects
- Initiate the study of the environment in school curricula across the UAE
As a school/parent
How you can help
Log on to www.beatiwatani.com to encourage your students to sign up, or email our education team for guidance!
As a sponsor
Currently, there is a sponsorship opportunity for our education projects. Contact our business development team for more information.
Be'ati Watani Website
Click here to visit the Be'ati Watani website.